- Flu typically affects 20 to 50 percent of the U.S. population each winter.
- The flu is highly contagious, spreading mostly by direct person-to-person contact.
- Americans contract approximately 1 billion colds each year.
- Children average six to eight and adults average two to four colds a year.
- Most colds strike Americans in the fall or winter.
- Among adults, the prevalence of obesity increased from 15.0% (in 1980) to 32.9% (in 2004).
- Being overweight or obese increases the risk of many diseases and health conditions including hypertension, type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and stroke.
For more detailed ailment information, select from the links below: